Thursday, December 10, 2009

Blog 24: Course Reflection

Course Evaluation/Reflection

Questions:
What did you learn in this course?
I learned that writing is a complicated process and cannot be mastered in a few drafts. Its okay not to be happy with my work the first time, that’s what revision is for. What matters is I have my thoughts down and can go from there. Also I learned not to be so self conscious and critical of my writing; every writer struggles with an inferiority complex at one time or another.
About the form of CNF?
CNF can take on many forms, some more enjoyable than others, as long as it hones in on a personal experience/idea, and continually circles around it. I don’t think it is the CNF author’s job to provide answers, but to leave the door open for interpretations by the audience. Some of the best books are those who have left me ambivalent about certain ideas rather than saying outright, “this is right” or “this is wrong”.
What did you learn about how to write CNF?
So much- considering I didn’t know what it was when I walked into the class in September. I learned than what seems like a trivial experience can be molded into a smart, interesting piece. I also learned that I have to stop rushing my work; it’s okay to write in pieces and go back after a day or two. Also, I learned to use discretion when writing about others without compromising the integrity of my story/memories. Sometimes I have to make the decision to put the truth out there whether or not some may think it is selfish or insensitive.
About where to publish/find publishing venues for your creative writing?
I never knew there were so many venues dedicated to CNF writing, but I know have the knowledge to pursue publication and also to read other work and maybe get ideas for my own.
Did you change anything /try anything different in your writing process? Please describe.
The segmented essay was new to me and it turns out that I love this form. As far as the process goes, I found myself jotting down snippets of memory in my journal which later turned into whole chunks of my essays. Because I was often writing from memory, there was no need to map out every line, it flowed naturally when I was typing. This is a time saver.
Which class assignments/class experiences helped you learn whatever you learned?
Lott’s definitions laid the groundwork for this course, although his is not the final say on CNF, his guidelines were invaluable. I also liked some of the journal prompts although I’ll admit at times I was scrawling nonsense because I didn’t know what to write.
What do you wish the course spent more time on?
Reading our pieces out loud; even though the Reading Day was not an official part of the class, I loved it. It was actually one of my favorite activities from this course.
What do you wish we'd spent less time on?
I am not a fan of group assignments, even though we only did two or three. It’s awkward when only a few people did the reading.

2. Structure of course/assignments
Questions:
Right pace/schedule?
If I could change one thing I might have the students write their first essay a little earlier. I know it was logical to do the readings before we started writing our own CNF, but I felt a little rushed at the end as far as writing one essay after another.
Coherence of material?
Absolutely- everything we read expanded my understanding of this genre and influenced my own essays in some way.
Workload =>
Yes, the work load was fine- one blog a class is not too much to ask. 
Cover material appropriate to course goals? Definitely; we accomplished everything you told us we would.
Enough feedback for grades?
Yes the feedback was very helpful thank you. I also appreciated how you gave us constructive criticism without being overbearing or pompous like some professors. You gave us an honest opinion and suggested revisions rather than demanding them. It made me want to improve my essays and not give up on them.

3. Provisions for feedback/grades
Forms of evaluation + feedback
Questions:
Which form of feedback was most helpful?
I thought both forms were helpful, but the written feedback was more convenient and if we had more questions you were available for a conference. It gave the class flexibility which is appreciated.
Which did you enjoy most? written
Did you feel the grading system was fair? yes
Did the grades/grading system contribute to learning?
As far as the drafts being our practice essay and not receiving a letter grade- yes!. I think students miss out on the writing process when they are hung up on the grade they will receive, but the drafts allowed us to explore ideas and try new things without risk.

4. General response
Is there anything you could tell me that would help me teach a better/more engaging course?
Not really. I like your style of teaching and you did a great job of making this course interesting and educational.
Anything you want to say about your experience of the course?
I loved this course! Thank you for being helpful and understanding with our writing; and so open with your own experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment