Thursday, November 5, 2009

Blog 16: Ideas for essay 3

I have many ideas for my third essay but I’m leaning toward a picture taken of me on my Fist Communion with both sets of grandparents behind me. I think this is the only photo I have of all of us together and remember at the time I was grateful somebody had taken it. The body language, clothing, and even the order in which we are standing has always interested me, and along with physical descriptions I will connect this to my family story. My mother's parents (who were divorced for many years) are standing apart like bookends on a shelf and my father's parents are squeezed in the middle, my Grandpa cradling his wife's shoulder with his left arm. We all look happy, (I thought I was a little princess that day) but I wonder exactly what was going through their heads. I'll never know of course, but I can speculate.

I know I have to do more than simply tell a story and so I’m trying to figure out what exactly I want to bring into question/explore.I really enjoyed “Silent Dancing” and will most likely use this as a model for my own piece. I would like feedback as to what I should be exploring (marriage, family gatherings, my perception of their relationships as a child vs. as an adult etc). I know all this sounds pretty vague, but I’m still in the planning stages.

1 comment:

  1. Kim - As we discussed in class, a focus can be how connected you were with your religion while your grandparents were alive, and how disconnected you became afterward. I wonder if you would have even made your First Holy Communion if they were not there and involved. Often what links family members together is what they "do" together, whether religiously or culturally, even more than the blood relationship.

    ReplyDelete