Monday, November 9, 2009

Blog 18: Revisiting Important Locations

My Grandparents shore house: I grew up in this house. Every summer from the time I was born was spent in Tomsriver. I learned to swim here and how to catch and clean crabs and fish. I can still smell the salt and mugginess in the air, and hear the seagulls cawing at six in the morning. We are in the process of selling this house now. The deck is warped and splintering, the weeds have staked claim to most of the property; worst of all the sounds of life have disappeared. No children laughing, water splashing, chicken sizzling on the grill, it seems so empty.

Barnes and Noble/Library:
I have loved books since middle school. All books: novels, nonfiction, manuals,reference, biographies,religion/spirituality, textbooks etc. I love how they feel in my hands and smell right off the shelf. Even if I'm not reading one at the moment, sitting in a room full of books is comforting, like I'm "in the loop" and have access to information that others may not. My love for reading is what prompted me to be a writer.
North Carolina: Vacationing in North Carolina is a tradition started when my Mom was a teenager and was revived when I was about nine. I lived there for a year though, and I would much rather be a guest than a resident. My parents decision to move there caused me to spend my first semester at HP University, and if they had followed through on their plans, my life would be so different.My first hurricane was experienced in Kitty Hawk; "Bonnie" decided to show up at the end of August and had us all evacuated to a grimy motel inland. It was lots of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment